Friday, October 3, 2014

Thriving in Ecuador (dated July 15th, 2014)


~Peace out in the Amazon~

So Peeps and I are in the middle of nowhere. While I write, Peepu is sleeping by my side. A short flight and a few canoe rides this morning, we reached a jungle lodge in the Ecuadorian Amazon. Our room is beautiful, the jungle sounds refreshing, and slowly, most stresses are waning. For me, this is an opportunity to disconnect. Frankly, I don’t have a choice as this place has no internet. After much protest, I've come to terms with it, and have decided that I’ll spend the next few days 
  • Continuing to dance with nature- swim in the amazon, walk through the rainforest, potentially limit alcohol
  • Relax and meditate
  • Write about all the thoughts and ideas bubbling in my mind 

While I will soon move on to another thought, its worth pausing and reflecting over the last few days. Peeps and I are in Ecuador. We planned this break fairly quickly, and it has so far turned out to be more exotic than we had thought. I fear about going on without once thanking the powers that be, for making this possible for Peeps and I. For sure, we work hard. But we’re definitely fortunate that our hard work yields and allows us to be passionate. Passion is not an option for everyone and I hope that some day I’ll be able to use my experiences, knowledge and passion to give back and enable some others to achieve at least a part of their dreams..

We started the journey a few days back, when we flew from SFO to Houston. A stop over, made longer by a nasty storm, delayed our flight to Quito. We landed in Quito at 200 am, where after the immigration facilities and dubious looking officials, we made our way to our home for the next 3 hours- Quito Airport Inn. Quito is at 2,800 meters above sea level, again something we learnt only after stepping out of the airport with no jacket or wrap to cover ourselves.
The inn was about 10 minutes away, and cost $5. The proximity didn’t mean much until a few days later when we really saw how far Quito is from Mariscal Sucre International Airport. Quito Airport Inn cost us $49 a night- probably a good call given how little time we spent there. When we reached the place, all we saw was 2 dirty dogs, a very friendly young girl to welcome us in the early morning hours and a few stripped down rooms, which had little other than a bed sheet and cover. It did have good wifi, and after catching up on email, our very long day ended. 4 hours later, we were back at the airport, negotiating with LAN Ecuador on why they shouldn’t bump us off our flight to the Galapagos- our first major stop. Some fuss later, LAN convinced Avianca to put us on their flight and we were off to the otherworld! Between spurts of awake time on the flight, we had a chance to stare in awe at the Cotopaxi and the Chimborazo- the two highest volcanoes/peaks in Ecuador. The Andes were stunning and left me with a sense of regret that I will not have the chance to trek through these possibly in this lifetime. Soon, the terrain changed from the volcanic Andes, to flat lands. Our plane stopped at the humid city of Guayaquil, before flying us over the Pacific towards the otherworldy Galapagos Islands.





~Thriving~

Now the Galapagos are behind us, and we’re hundreds of miles East, in the Lower Napo river, close to the mouth of the Amazon.

We started our day with a beautiful walk in the forest, all the way to a series of metal observation towers, which elevated us above the canopy, setting the stage for some phenomenal views of the forest and bird life within.

Its noon now. There’s something to be said about starting the day at 5:30 am. I’ve always been a fan of rising early. Over time, it’s started coming naturally to me. On a typical weekday, I wake up by 6, and on weekends, no later than 800 am. Of course, to make this work, I need to be somewat disciplined about a few things:

-          I make sure to turn in by 10 or 11 pm, so I can clock no less than 7 hours of sleep.
-          Keeping my evening meals light has helped me manage well with 7 hours of sleep, something that used to be very difficult earlier.
-          I also drink much less now. This is something around 2-3 glasses of wine a week, which is possibly too low but keeps me happy yet energetic
-          I’ve cut down smoking to barely 2-3 cigarettes a week, but I’m hoping to bring this down further, possibly cold turkey.

This change has benefitted me in several ways. For one, I have a significantly more efficient work day. I get the time to prepare or pick up a healthy breakfast, and I’m not always rushing. I also manage stress better as the morning hours help me catch up on work better than later, especially when all the world starts booting up. The regular sleep clock has led to better skin for me over time, which has been for long, a pretty painful affair for me. I can’t say that all my skin problems are gone, and some of them will probably never go away. Finally, more often than not, the efficiency releases time to work out. I have to better about it though, and make this a more regular part of my life. I manage 2-3 times a week but would like to take this up to 4, or in a good week, 5 times a week. 5 would be ambitious and tough to sustain, and 4 days, including 2 on the weekend and 2 during the week feels more reasonable.

While I’ve been writing in, I slept off for a bit. During this time, it started to rain. While  I thought disconnecting would be tough, its actually been wonderful. In our wood room, we can look outside to see a sea of trees. From time to time, a monkey would be jumping from tree to tree. The sound of the forest is anything but soft. From screaming birds, to croaking frogs, this is a beautiful break so far. Soon, we’ll head for lunch. After tasting the dinner last night, I’m really looking forward to seeing the fare this afternoon.


~ As close to skinny dipping as I will get~

Last night, we went out in to the forest again. The night walk, as they call it was scary as hell. It was pitch dark, and from time to time, we came across giant tarantulas, snails as big as my head and many other creepy crawlies.

Today was short, but helped me tune out even more. We started the day with a long boat ride down the river and back. The food at Sacha Lodge continued to satisfy my soul. In the afternoon, we had the option of venturing out again but I held back. I let Peeps go and stayed back in the lodge to connect with the forest alone.

I also went by the water, and considered dipping in. The staff had informed us that its safe, but it was daunting nevertheless. While I read my book and debated whether to dive in or not, I realized it would soon be dark, and hence unsafe given the Caymans start owning the water after sundown. Knowing I might never have this option again, I dove right in.  That was the feeling I had been looking for- being in the water, surrounded by the expansive and mesmerizing rainforest around me, I felt fantastic about life!

Later at night, we went on a ride in the canoe, while it was pitch dark. The only sounds we could hear were those of the forest, rustling leaves, night calls by the insects and forest life. And then, we saw a Cayman- 3 meters long! She darted away from us in a few seconds, leaving us gasping in amazement.

This has been life changing.


~Return to reality~

We got back from Quito early this morning. We had planned to take Monday off given it’s a long flight. Lucky for us we were upgraded.

The end of a holiday never brings back a lot of excitement. This one was special. It started out as a rushed, unplanned trip, but it took us to some otherworldy locations, forced us to disconnect thanks to limited wifi and immerse ourselves deeply in to nature (and each other).

Work starts tomorrow, and threatens to bring the expected stress with it. I tried plugging in earlier today but Peeps discouraged me, as he (rightly) pointed out that work will occupy as much we let it. I listened and don’t regret it. We caught up on the first episode of the new season of Masters of Sex. By 5:30, we were unpacked and settled in. I've been feeling this beautiful sense of calm since we visited the Amazon. I don’t doubt that this may well be a temporary effect, but I would love for it to stay with me longer. In that spirit, I went for a 75 minutes Yoga class. Our instructor today was GREAT. He started slow, and didn't make us go crazy with the calisthenics right away. His approach was to focus on form and enabling mindfulness rather than a power workout. Surprisingly, for most of the 75 minutes, I sweat profusely, and I wasn't alone. Throughout the session though, I kept taking my mind back to the late night canoe ride, amidst massive stretches of rain-forest, and the most calming expanse of silence. The only sound we heard was that of the paddle gently swishing through the water. Earlier that day, when it was brighter, I did get a few shots. The beauty and calm a few hours later, was magnified.



There was salmon in the freezer, which I let thaw and made dinner out of. It’s the simplest meal, which takes about 20 minutes to make. I left the salmon fillets in a baking dish, and added a mixture of garlic, parsley and herb-infused olive oil on it. I let it bake for 15 minutes after which I broiled it for about 10 minutes to make it crispy. For Peeps, I added two slices of bread, and for myself, only some Sriracha.

No comments:

Post a Comment